Saturday, August 05, 2006

The Journey begins...onto Alabama!



Yes, we are alive and kicking...it's just been a crazy few weeks trying to get up and running in Alabama!! Thought I'd show you some pictures of "the journey." I finally left Texas (as a resident) on July 22 (Saturday) with my dear friend, Kim, to start the 10 hour journey which turned into a 14 hour journey to West Point, MS (to my in-laws farm) for a pit stop for the night before heading to Athens, AL...but along the way we had a slight accident (my first and hopefully my last). It was raining, dark, and we were on a rural highway in MS. No one was hurt (Praise the Lord) but it was definately scary! Bella was a tough girl too, as you can see from the picture, she managed to wiggle her way into the front seat a couple of times to check out the view. The car accident definately made me aware of what a pain it is to talk wtih insurance people, auto shops, etc. After Kim and I arrived with Bella to my new home, we were off the next day to Gulf Shores, AL for a "little" retreat to the beach. We stayed at this charming B&B, The Beach House. I believe Southern Living listed it as a Top 10 B&B in the nation. This is a picture of Kim and I at the Huntsville airport as we "finally" said goodbye "for now."


We then headed back to my house to get back to the grind of "renovation." :) And if you want to see more pictures of the "updates" to our home...click here for "BEFORE & AFTER PICTURES." It has definately come a LONG way...and the "textured tiled" backsplash is the one project I'm most proud of thus far. Isn't it cool? My neighbor told me how to do it...it was easy and CHEAP. Doesn't it look like real tile? Its just sheet rock joint compound and paint! Before this it was textured wallpaper and paneling :(

This was my first "full" week at our new home. Forrest had in-service all week at his school and his 1st day of class was yesterday, Friday!! Can you believe it? So early it seems like. Anyway, I am not working for awhile :) and enjoying being a "full time homemaker, coach's wife, dog mom, and babysitter!" We have another coach and his family (wife and 5 year old daughter, Morgan) living with us in our home...along with their 2 dogs [Copper & Sally] until they find a home of their own. Forrest had to fill a last minute coaching spot on his staff and within a week (literally) the Browns were here and living with us. Forrest and Michael were HS buddies in West Point, MS and God opened up a door for them to sell their house, and provided 2 teaching jobs for Michael and his wife! Morgan, the 5 year old, will start kindgergarten on Tuesday, but for this week I've been champion babysitter :) On top of all of that, Forrest's sister, Ginger, and her kids came to help "renovate" for a couple of days. So at one time we had 8 people and 3 dogs here (ahhh). In the below picture are our new "roommates" :) Michael, Jody, along with his "visiting" sister, Ginger. Like our furniture? :)

That is all for now...Forrest's Athletic Association is having a fundraiser, the Annual Rodeo, that we will be helping with tonight...how fun is that? They have bulls and everything. Debating on if I should whip out my TX cowboy hat that Katie gave me and my green, suede cowboy boots :) What do you think?

Thanks for visiting the new blog...I'll try to do better with daily postings...and you do the same :) PS- Don't worry about Bella...she's getting PLENTY of lovin'.

ON THE EJ job front...I have an interview on August 10, Thursday, for an advisor/recruiter position at a nearby community college, please pray for that if you can remember. Also, I have an application to be a substitute teacher if I want a little more laid back schedule to work in with my ambitious painting career :) Wish me luck!

2 Comments:

Blogger The Segrest Family said...

YAY! you are back to the blogging world! i've missed you--- keep the posts coming!
mk

9:28 AM  
Blogger The Manning Family said...

Bless your heart--the long drive, the wreck, house guests--you deserve a medal! :) I know you're glad to be reunited with your hubby and beginning the new chapter in your lives. Good luck on the job hunt and settling into the new surroundings! Take care!
Brooke

10:58 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home