Sunday, February 04, 2007

My heart belongs to a coach...



Well...I have been waiting to write this post when I had 'enough' time to write it...so why not during the Superbowl? Yes, I love football...but it seems to not be so important right now. As many of you know...Forrest was notified on Wednesday afternoon that he was 'no longer needed' as the Athletic Director & Head Coach at his high school. As you can read in the articles below...he was given NO reasons, NO whys, NO incidents, NOTHING....just told 'we are going in a different direction.' I think this dad who wrote the Sunday article says it best..."Was it for taking the team to the 3A state playoffs for the first time in 15 years, or for winning four games after moving up from 2A to 3A, or for moving all the way from Texas to coach a team that he unknowingly thought was more important than trying to figure out which alumni have the highest stature and not stepping on their toes?"

So he's been in the newspaper 3 straight days....FRIDAY'S article, SATURDAY'S article, & SUNDAY'S article. Be sure to scroll down to on Sunday's article written by Keith Smith (a football parent). We are still in the 'can this really be happening to us' mode. Forrest stays on the phone a majority of the night these days talking to 'dads' that are just shocked this is happening...and giving their best wishes. But I guess as every day passes it will become more real. We took a quick road trip to his parents in West Point Saturday-Sunday to 'get away' but then spent several hours on the phone with parents. So it seemed to follow us. We are so appreciative of the love and support we have from the parents, community, and seems what to be the 'majority' of the community/ school...but maybe not the 'loudest'...(yet). Too bad this strong support is a little too late for us. We have now found out it's about 5 people in the community that are not Coach W 'fans'....and still seem to be campaigning to get the 'unhappy' player parents on 'their' side. Evidently, there are more 'Team Williams' fans than they had thought! :) We are honestly trying to stay out of it. Our 'soon to be' pastor came over to pray with us on Wednesday night and said something that is so true and is replaying over and over in my head. "You have each other and you have a Sovreign God and that's all you need." Tuesday night will be a tough one for us. It is 'Senior Night' for our basketball teams...so everyone will be there and so will we. Please pray for those interactions and that night. Other things to please pray for:



  • Forrest's interaction with the other faculty, staff, coaches, players, parents for the rest of the year

  • Forrest's search for another job somewhere in the South

  • My job search here to have at least a part time job for the next couple of months to help us out financially

  • To sell our house at the perfect time so we won't lose any $ but Lord willing...make $ to cover moving expenses

  • That we would have strength and self-control to leave with class and integrity and not say anything that our 'flesh' might want to say to a select few; that we would not be sarcastic that we would 'finish the job' as Christ would want us to and that all would see Jesus in us through this difficult time and He would get the glory for it all


I picked this picture because it was taken Forrest's FIRST year of coaching. Honestly, all of the other pictures from this year really made me sick to my stomach. I think back of what a 'great life' with 2 great jobs, loyal friends, and a great church body....all that we left behind to be here...and now it ends like this? But I do have to remind myself we met some great people, families, players here...and got to see both of our families A LOT more! We truly believe God "called" us to Alabama for certain purposes....those of which we may never know this side of heaven...and as I'm studying in Romans..."who are we to question God?" He works ALL things out for good for those whole love Him and have been called according to His purpose (Romans 8:28). I leave you with this truth from God's word that we found this weekend to help us through all of this... Thanks everyone! We love you!

Proverbs 10:9 He who walks in integrity walks securely, but he who walks the crooked path will be found out.



1 Peter 2:15 For it is God's will that by doing right you should put to silence the ignorance of foolish men.

9 Comments:

Blogger The Segrest Family said...

thinking of y'all...

8:25 PM  
Blogger kim s said...

Your focus is in the right place - on the Soveriegnty of God...you are continuing to display His heart of love and compassion in this time of trial...I am so sorry for you to have to go through this and I am sad for them - "for they know not what they do" or in other words, they don't know what they are missing out on. I am proud of you for taking the high road...praying daily for your strength.

3:59 AM  
Blogger The Manning Family said...

So sorry to hear about this. We'll be thinking of y'all as this semester draws to a close and as you make plans for the 'next chapter' in your lives! God Bless You Both!

6:25 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

ya'll are in my prayers...

9:29 AM  
Blogger The Wolfe Family said...

So sorry about all you guys are going through right now!! It's so hard to see friends go through these times. This is when I wish you were closer so I could beat all those people up that are talkin' smack about OUR AWSOME FRIENDS!!!! No, really, you guys are really special to us and we pray awsome things come along for you both through all of this. Keep your head up and keep the faith. I wish we could come by and take you to eat at Johnny Carino's to cheer you up!!!:) Love Ya Friend!!!!!

12:49 PM  
Blogger Kristen & Ryan Richardson said...

EJ & Forrest -

Kim told me about all that has happened to you and I am truly hurting for you! Mankind will always go their own way... so far from the mind of God. Please rest in the assurance that some MSU/Waco friends are praying and intercedeing on your behalf to a God who knows you and knows the plans he has for you!

Hey, I met the pastor of Sherwood Baptist Church in Georgia 2 weeks ago. His church made a movie! It's a Christian movie and therefore it is a little cheesy... but the truth contained within it is still sound... I mention it only because it's about High School football... it's call "Facing the Giants" and it was released everywhere on DVD on January 31st. If you haven't already, you should see it. Again... I admit the chessiness in advance!

Let us know how things progress.

Ryan & Kristen Richardson

1:57 PM  
Blogger The Ueltschey's said...

EJ- Best of luck to you guys. You both have amazing attitudes about this change. It's probably not fun but I know that God has a plan for both of you. It just might take a little time to figure out what good He has in store for you. We will keep you both in our prayers; I have no doubt that you two were a blessing to this team!

2:47 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

Hey EJ-
Ok, I know that it has been forever since we talked or emailed or anything, but Ashley told me about this posting, and I wanted to send you a message.
Don't know if you remember or not, but I am the varsity soccer assistant at Plano West. I also had a situation this year where 22 parents banded together against me and our head soccer coach and wrote letters to all of our bosses(AD's, principals, superintendents) basically attacking our character and demanding that they fire us.

The only thing I can say to you and Forest is that the righteous will be protected in the end(Is. 45:25). I know that nothing hurts more than when people question your coaching abilities...

I am praying for you guys, and for Forest, because I know how hard it is for him to have to go to work eveyday and face those kids and wonder "Was it really all that bad?" And of course the answer is NO. He is a man of character and he unquestionably always did what was right for his players and students.

You guys are on my heart and in my prayers. Please update the blog as soon as you have something.

4:21 PM  
Blogger Emily Fowler said...

EJ,
thinking of you and Forrest and I know that you have to believe that everything happens for a reason (which I know you do). The things that you wrote really hit home for me and things that are going on in mine and matt's life right now. I just want to say that I admire your views on the whole situation. Everything is going to work out and you are in my prayers. Congrats on the baby. That is so super exciting. emily

4:11 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home